Wednesday, February 4, 2015

1950's slang

So, as an avid reader of my blog, which I just know you are, you should remember my post on Victorian-Era slang. It was a great post- one of my favorites, actually. So I decided I want to do one again, because it was a lot of fun. Fun fact: Slang is actually a slang word. It's simply short for Shortened Language. It's a autonym. So here, have some 1950's slang.

I bet you're wondering, how does a flutter bum like me get to be so hep? Well, I'll clue you. Around round up time of 2013, I wasn't very cranked to go to the corral. I had a lot of moldies who gave me a crazy lot of mush. So I thought "Hey, this place is such a Nowheresville." So my reds and I, who were quite radioactive, all shucked, sluffed, and shot down. Now I'm just some fream, circled with a couple ankle-biters. It's a good thing that I lit up the tilt sign when I told you this.

Well, that didn't make much sense, now did it... Here, let me help:

I bet you're wondering, how does a handsome young man like me get to be so awesome ? Well, I'll tell you about it. Around the end of Summer Vacation of 2013, I wasn't very excited to go to the schoolyardI had a lot of bad teachers who gave me a buttload of homework. So I thought "Hey, this place is such a Lame place to be." So my Communists and I, who were quite popular, all lied, cheated, skipped classes, and failed. Now I'm just some guy that doesn't fit inmarried with a couple children. It's a good thing that I made this all up when I told you this.

Wait, but there's more, okay? Just some great phrases that we should bring back:
Apple-Butter - someone who is a smooth-talker
Clyde: A regular guy
Sophie: Another boy's girlfriend
What's Buzzin', cuzzin?: What's new? / What's up?
What's your tale, Nightingale?  What's your story? What's the matter?
Come on, Snake! Let's Rattle!  May I dance with you, miss?
and, my favorite: Another way to say Make like a tree and Leave:
Put an egg in your shoe and beat it!

One thing that I've noticed from this reading is that we still use so many of their slang, even on a regular basis. I mean, Dr. Seuss coined the word nerd in the 50's, and I call people nerds all day, every day. Spaz, a tight group of friends. punks, "No sweat!", even to Make Out-- all of these phrases come from the 1950's!

Anyway, if you disregard the war, the blatant sexism, the blatant racism, the discrimination, Jim Crow laws still in effect, Polio, Domestic Violence, Joe McCarthy, Civil Rights-- Ah, hell. It was all pretty bad. EXCEPT FOR THE SLANG. THAT WAS REALLY COOL!

1 comment: