Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Aureate, Lethologica, and Parlian

Yo. If this is your first time reading my blog... I feel bad for you. It's a great blog. It's all about words. Every so often, I will ask my family members what they think certain words mean, like what I did this week. And yeah. This blog is all about words, mainly ones you probably didn't know existed, or words that you may find useful in the future, like the feeling of Lethologica.  Sometimes, I will go to detail behind the word, and sometimes, I will just give a quick definition.
(I suggest, if ye be interested, that ye look at a lot of me other words.  <<end pirate accent>>)

My words for this week are Aureate, Lethologica, and Parlian:
Aureate: Kimmy: Something is emanating from someones personality. 
                  Mom: To turn golden, or to make sound
                  Jessie: To misinterpret a word because of hearing it wrong.
                  Dad: To speak in the pompitous of love, to tell a story
Lethologica: Kimmy: Nonsense
                       Mom: The process of falling asleep.
                       Jessie: A disorder caused by stress and homework at Ghidotti
                       Dad:  An incorrect approach to solve a physics problem.
Paralian: Kimmy: A person who got made fun of in their youth and is still insecure.
                 Mom:  Someone who walks by your side.
                 Jessie: Someone who is part of Parliament (;
                 Dad: A person who has citizenship in multiple countries.

Aureate: There are two definitions to this word, and one of them, I just love. And I get the feeling a certain English teacher will love it too. The first meaning of Aureate means 'Of a golden color or brilliance." I mean, it's pretty interesting. Obviously, that comes from the Latin root Aurus- , meaning "Gold."  But this second one... The best possible definition of this word means "Pertaining to the fancy or flowery words used by poets, marked by grandiloquent style." I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND HOW GREAT THIS IS. This is the exact word I've been looking for. Words are my passion. I love them. And then I stumble upon this word that literally describes everything I need. Aureate can describe poems, novels, magazine articles, and even blog posts. The definition is even an Aureate one definition! (Grandiloquent‽‽‽*)

Lethologica: Believe it or not, this is not the first time I have gotten a word that I believe everyone experiences, but is an actual disorder.  (See Dysania)  Lethologica comes from the terms Lethe-, meaning "Forgetfulness", and -Logo, meaning "Word."  The word Lethologica is a fine word to know, because it represents when you can't... uh... I forget the word! It's on the tip of my tongue! I know it! AH! When you can't remember a word, you experience Lethologica. But, as I stated before, it is an actual, clinical disorder, identified by the Swiss Psychiatrist Carl Jung.  In 1913, his book The Psychology of the Unconscious stated that "9 out of 10 Westerners will experience some form of Lethologica at some point in their life." This can be brought upon by stress, anxiety, or just uncomfortable situations. So, if you ever see me presenting something, and I stand there thinking of the right word, I am incredibly uncomfortable.  Lethologica should not be confused with the word Aphasia, which means speechlessness.

Paralian: I've searched everywhere for the etymology of this word. I found out that Para- comes from the Greek root, meaning "Alongside, beside", (Like in parallel). Anyway, A Paralian is someone who lives by the ocean/on the coast. My grandparents are Paralians, along with my sister and brother. This should not be confused with the incredibly similar Paralalia, which is an accidental sound. (One not meant to be made, like from a speech impediment.)

*For those of you just joining me, a is called an Interrobang, and is a combination of ? and !

3 comments:

  1. A very aureate piece, so aureate my computer does not recognize half the words you used. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool words, i think i might use some of them some more most likely the letho- what was it again?

    ReplyDelete