Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What in the universe is a Kakistocracy?

One of my favorite literary pieces of all time comes, oddly enough, from Douglas Adams. I guess that's not odd at all, if you know me. Perfectly normal.
The entire chapter, my favorite thing ever, perfectly describes a Kakistocracy.
From Chapter 28, Restaurant at the End of the Universe:
Simply put, a Kakistocracy is a government that has a ruler who is least qualified.  << see America, 2001-2009>> (Sorry. I just don't like how he pronounced words. Nookyular.)

Anyway. The word Kakistocracy comes from κακός, (kakos), meaning bad, or worst.  And then it also, obviously comes from -cracy, meaning government. I think. Fun fact. κακός also gives us the word kaka,  rather, defecation.

One of the earlier uses of Kakistocracy comes from James Lowell, who said "Is ours a “government of the people, by the people, for the people,” or a Kakistocracy, rather for the benefit of knaves at the cost of fools?"

I also have one more example here, which is kind of a half Kakistocracy: (And this is actually happening. I sadly did not make this up.)



8 comments:

  1. I have never read yoi blog before :P but it's super duper cool :3 this is very interesting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thought. I like the way your blog is set up and the entire message of this post. The way the actual written stuff was set up, can be changed. Like the giant white box. Also try to add in a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The giant white box is the picture. I didn't want to type the whole thing.

      Delete
  3. As you know, I love Douglas Adams, you can't go wrong with quoting Douglas Adams. This is just perfect. But if I had just one last wish, it would be for a tasty fish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, this is one of your less words thing definition than usual, but it gets the message across, just keep length in mind.

    ReplyDelete