Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Quarinkates

Hey, fun word this week. Quarinkates.  (I've done my research, and I believe it rhymes with Socrates, instead of mates.)

So Quarinkates:
Mom: "Prison cells where people are quarantined."
Dad: "People that have been put into quarantine."
Jess: "The oddities of a dead person."
Kevin: "A large group of camels."
Kimmy: "Information not available at this time."

So, they were all pretty far off. Quarinkates are those shivers that you get when music is really good, a show is really intense, or you are crying and just shake uncontrollably. So I guess that they are something related to strong emotions. (Joy, Worry, or Sadness.)

The word Quarinkates was actually relatively recently created, within the past couple of years. Coined by a Californian, in fact.  Jared Bates has created several words that made it into the Oxford dictionary, including Phablet, a combination of Phone and Tablet. Weird!
Honestly, I have no idea how he came up with Quarinkates. I... I don't even know...
Does Quari- come from the same root as Quality? I actually just looked it up. Quari- means "What kind of a..." So I guess that is a "What kind of a feeling"? Something like that.

I mean, when there's a recently invented word, there's never much info. I actually had to dig around on the internet to find this, and some of the background behind Quarinkates. I really wanted to do this word, because I love the spelling of it, and I think it's something we all relate to.

Yeah.

4 comments:

  1. Just an idea, what if you give use tenses of the word as well so we can work with it and insert it into our everyday vocabulary. I like the word, and find it very applicable to me as a person, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's a noun, not a verb. No tenses available.

      Delete
  2. No, I'm pretty sure it does mean a large group of camels.

    ReplyDelete